Zoning Board of Appeals
The Zoning Board of Appeals exists to hear and decide appeals of any decision or determination made by the Community Development Director or Building Official in the enforcement, administration and interpretation of the Unified Development Ordinance and to hear appeal in specific cases where, owning to special conditions, a literal interpretation of the Unified Development Ordinance in an individual case will result in an unnecessary hardship.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Zoning Board of Appeals shall have the following powers as it related to the zoning portions of the UDO to:
- Advise Mayor and Council on matters pertaining to the preservation of trees and conservation of tree canopy cover within the City
- Hear and decide appeals when it is alleged there is error in any order, requirement, decision or determination made by the Community Development Director in the enforcement, administration and interpretation of this UDO
- Hear and decide appeals of the decisions made by the Building Official in a quasi-judicial role
- Hear and decide requests for variances to this UDO upon which the ZBA is required to pass
- Authorize, upon appeal in specific cases, such variances from the terms of this UDO as will not be contrary to the public interest where, owing to special conditions, a literal enforcement of this UDO will, in an individual case, result in unnecessary hardship, so that the spirit of this UDO shall be observed, public safety and welfare secured, and substantial justice done
ZBA meets as necessary on the fourth Thursday of each at 6:30 p.m. in the City Hall Council Chambers.
Agendas & Minutes
Click below to view agendas and minutes.
Agendas & Minutes
ZBA is a five-member board serving four-year terms. The members shall reside within the corporate limits of the city, one of which shall be qualified by experience and training to pass judgment on matters pertaining to building construction.
Don Thompson, Chair
June 6, 2022
July 1, 2022
December 1, 2023
J. Dwaine Clark
August 4, 2023
August 4, 2022